Monday, October 9, 2017

Mark Borczon writes



WAKING BEFORE DAWN



When I am clawing through 
The scattered cigarette papers 
In front of the alarm clock 
I suspect I have left my body 
In my other clothes



The neighbor’s oldest daughter 
Runs their dog every morning 
Wearing only a slip 
She was thin and beautiful 
And her thighs never touched



I have spent whole 
Summer evenings 
Trying to light a roofing nail 
With the glowing ass 
Of a firefly



Death fishes the bay 
At the foot of Liberty Street 
Using a casket key 
For a hook 
Chasing catfish



I found that I had 
Left my body 
Locked in the car overnight 
Waiting at the wheel 
Sober enough to drive
 Image result for girl running dog painting
 Girl, Running in Surf -- Alexi Borzoi Zaitsev

1 comment:

  1. A casket key is a handle placed in the side of a coffin to tighten the seal on a gasketed casket by mechanically pressurizing the lid to the bottom. A gasket is the rubber lining between the lid and base of a metal casket.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?