Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Jon Huer writes



THE SEDUCTION OF JOB: Twenty Years Later


A Dramatic Poem


CHAPTER SIXTEEN
Job accepts suffering as God's will.

ELIPHAZ:
My dear Job, again on trial and in suffering‑‑
Elihu told me the story of your affliction
And how the king's verdict holds you in silent agony.
I came to counsel you, not to condemn,
For I know many men, high and low,
Here in Uz and elsewhere on earth,
Who wallow in sin much greater than yours‑‑
Avarice, debauchery, cruelty, corruption, murder‑‑
Who go unpunished; no, even prosper for all that.
Your trial is out of proportion, it seems,
With the sin that you have committed,
At worst a man's indiscretion that passes
And is resolved between the man and his spouse.
Why, then, accept the king's decision without a fight?


JOB:
Eliphaz, my friend, time has changed our views.
Granted, some sins bigger than mine go unpunished.
But what has that got to do with me and my sin?
I stand trial to receive my own retribution
For the sins of my whole life:  pride and arrogance,
As well as those committed against the king's law
And the women of innocence and goodness,
Causing them their unspeakable sorrow and lamentation.
Other sins you mentioned are perhaps greater,
But does God go by our human standards
In judging the merit and punishment of man?


ELIPHAZ:
You speak of the maid in unflinching terms
Whereas she is the cause of your present misery.
Who is she and why is she bent on your destruction?


JOB:
Say anything you will about Bashana,
But she is an angel in disguise to me,
With the message of my sinning ways,
Committed and accumulated long before she came,
To which I was blind in my own self‑assurance
and in public adulation and in my considerable wealth. 
How else could I have recognized my follies,
Continually basking in my falsehood?
Without her wreaking havoc in my complacency,
How else could I know God's ways with man,
The sweetness of His grace given to prayers 
In the darkest hour of affliction?
What could she be but an angel in disguise?

Besides, the blame is all mine to bear,
For youth and ignorance were her companions
And she only sought wisdom and piety from me.
I was her master, was I not?
I was her mentor, was I not?
Were age and knowledge not on my side?
I stand accused in the king's court,
But the king is a mere instrument
That delivers the message of God's judgment.


ELIPHAZ:
But why such severe suffering for a penitent,
The torment of your soul being greater than your sin?


JOB:
Eliphaz, you did not see what I saw.
In the agony of the two women,
I tasted the full terror of God's wrath
And my heart shook in profound fear of Him.
The terror and fear were so great upon me,
My whole being broke down in sheer trepidation,
And I prayed for His grace and forgiveness.


Why does God withhold punishment from greater sins?
God punishes those He truly loves--does He not?--
So that through our suffering we are redeemed.
In the mysterious way He does His heavenly work
Some are favored by His grace and some are not.
But to lift us up from our own follies
He reserves the severest measure of atonement
For those He favors the most, does He not?
How does a sinner know his sinning ways
Unless he suffers, and suffers terribly?
In the great pain of my tortured soul,
I asked to be relieved of the pain and sorrow,
But the Almighty refused to grant it;
And when He ignored my desperate plea
I knew in my heart that He heard me,
Because it was in my unremitting agony
That I found my relief from terror and fear.
It was His refusal to grant me the deliverance
That drew me closer to His grace and mercy.
I found Him when He rejected me;
And I was saved when He punished me.


My dear Eliphaz, how sweet is penance‑‑
Why cry to heaven for relief when you have sinned,
And demand justice when you are guilty.
Must we not hear ourselves before God hears us?

 "Illustrations for the Book of Job" - 1826.
 -- William Blake
 

1 comment:

  1. ’Elipaz, ("El [God] is pure gold") was a Temanite; Teman was an important city of Edom; the Edomites were renowned for their wisdom. According to the updated final verse of “The Book of Job” in the Septuagint, he was the king of the Thaemanites and “of the children of Esau,” therefore one of Job’s close relatives. (Esau’s son was the father of Theman.) At first he praised Job: "Behold you have admonished many, and you have strengthened weak hands. Your words have helped the tottering to stand, and you have strengthened feeble knees. But now it has come to you, and you are impatient; it touches you, and you are dismayed. Is not your fear of God your confidence, and the integrity of your ways your hope?" But he argued that those who are truly good are never entirely forsaken by God, though the punishment may justly be inflicted for secret sins, and that the wicked may escape punishment because God is so distant he cannot see everythig. "Can mankind be just before God? Can a man be pure before his Maker? He puts no trust even in His servants; And against His angels He charges error. How much more those who dwell in houses of clay." He denied that anyone is innocent and censured Job for asserting his freedom from guilt. However, later he accused Job of oppressing widows and orphans. Elihu, on the other hand, observed that the innocent can indeed suffer. In the “Testament of Job,” however, Elihu turned against Job, “For from the beginning did I continue crying over him, remembering his former happiness. But now he speaks boastfully and in overbearing pride he says that he has his throne in the heavens.” In the end God told Eliphaz that he had sinned “in that ye have not spoken the truth concerning my servant Job. Therefore rise up and make him bring a sin-offering for you in order that your sins may be forgiven; for were it not for him, I would have destroyed you.” Then God forgave Eliphaz but not Elihu. Eliphaz responded with a hymn: "Taken off is the sin and our injustice gone; but Elihu, the evil one, shall have no remembrance among the living; his luminary is extinguished and has lost its light. The glory of his lamp will announce itself for him, for he is the son of darkness and not of light. The doorkeepers of the place of darkness shall give him their glory and beauty as share; His Kingdom hath vanished, his throne hath moldered, and the honor of his stature is in (Sheol) Hades…. For he did not own himself unto the Lord nor did he fear him, but he hated those whom He hath chosen. Thus God forgot him, and ‘the holy ones’ forsook him, his wrath and anger shall be unto him desolation and he will have no mercy in his heart nor peace, because he had the venom of an adder on his tongue. Righteous is the Lord, and His judgments are true, with him there is no preference of person, for He judgeth all alike. Behold, the Lord cometh! Behold, the ‘holy ones’ have been prepared: The crowns and the prizes of the victors precede them! Let the saints rejoice, and let their hearts exult in gladness; for they shall receive the glory which is in store for them. Our sins are forgiven, our injustice has been cleansed, but Elihu hath no remembrance among the living."

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?