Monday, October 2, 2017

Jon Huer writes



THE SEDUCTION OF JOB: Twenty Years Later   

A Dramatic Poem


CHAPTER FIFTEEN
Job chooses poverty over dishonor.


JOB TO SELF: 
O Zorah, the light of my life, 
Whose love is a tonic to my bitter heart, 
Whose sweetness is a relief to my grieving soul, 
Whose forgiveness is a grace to my distraught spirit,
How lower can I prostrate myself in contrition 
So that you can see my sorrow to the world's edge; 
How deeper can my cry of despair reach 
So that you can hear my wailing to the end of time?


Through your sweetness is my transgression forgiven, 
And in your goodness even my wickedness finds mercy. 
A woman of all honor and no guile, 
Impervious to the foulness of man's corruption, 
You stand pure and unspoiled among the women of Uz. 
The king demands that I dishonor your name 
In order to save my possessions, 
Or choose to be dispossessed to bare bones 
So that your name will be spared of humiliation. 
How brutal is the choice that faces me; 
How exorbitant is the price you pay for my sins.   


Life will go on in poverty and destitution, 
But to dishonor your name through public scorn 
And the pain of private gossip‑mongering 
Is worse than to be damned without hope 
And to burn in scorching hell without death. 
O Zorah, your honor must be preserved at all cost, 
And my public trial avoided to save your dignity. 
Yes, we will surrender our great wealth 
To spare you from the greater affliction of shame.   


You lost your innocent trust in your husband; 
Now must you endure poverty because of him. 
What is the cause of your blunder 
That you should be chained with me?
How cruel is your fate bound with mine, 
How sordid is my deed in league with the Devil! 
In dirt and dust must we find our dwelling;
From tears and sighs would our sorrowful bread come; 
And the cold and wind should be our evening songs.   

O the curse of destitution, the haunting of emptiness! 
I have been wealthy long enough 
To be cursed by the forgotten memory of destitution, 
Yet to be haunted by the coming pain of emptiness. 
Being poor is the cold night without shelter, 
Being dispossessed the windy day that never ends. 
O the remembrance of my bread soaked in tears, 
Of my drink that filled the cup in my weeping,
Of the pain endured during the long day, 
And the terror of the night knocking on the door!    


By visions and dreams I am followed 
And in illusions of death and doom do I tremble. 
I awake from nightmares gasping for breath, 
Wondering about this vision and that dream, 
And shuddering with fear for the things to come.   


Mournful is surely that I shall lose all I own, 
For my wealth is immense and long enjoyed; 
Why I will lose all is more mournful still; 
For the loss is by own sin, and none other, 
And shame must shadow my sin and my loss. 
Loss by any means is sorrowful enough, 
Yet the sorrow's strength becomes manifold 
When caused by sin and accompanied by shame. 
How can I explain my misfortune to anyone, 
Where shall I find justification for my fall, 
And who but myself will take the blame for my loss?   


God gives and God takes away 
Why should I be grieving, tears in my breathing,           
That my riches would be no more? 
Was I not blessed with my wealth 
While it remained within my possession 
Perhaps longer than I deserved? 
Why should I hesitate giving it up, back to God 
From Whom all things come and to Whom they return?   


O the fearful memories of my days in poverty: 
The dirt and dust that were my house and home; 
The tears and sighs that were my prayers; 
And the cold and wind that chilled my bones! 
People said in scorn and ridicule, "There goes Job; 
He was once rich, but look at him now!" 
O how their scorn severed my heartstrings; 
O how my bitterness rose in their ridicule! 
If God had never rewarded me with riches 
At least I would not be so desolate 
With the pain of my coming want.   


In mercy and justice God rewarded me with His fullness; 
Now in my folly would I return to my emptiness. 
What the Almighty gave me in noble grace 
I must yield in shame and disgrace. 
But why is the delight of gains 
Always smaller than the sorrow of loss? 
Why is the gainer's gratitude so short‑lived, 
And why so never‑ending is the loser's lamentation?   


But what is wealth if not temporary, 
And who is God if not just? 
He enriches and deprives as He wishes 
And what knowledge of man can comprehend His ways? 
Naked we are born, and naked we die. 
In my heart's bitterness I will seek God's comfort,
And in my desolate longing shall I find His will. 
O the passing delight of my wealth that was, 
The looming tears of my poverty yet to come, 
And the sound of scorn and ridicule that will be‑‑
In prayers I receive strength and hope from God; 
But in sorrow and dread do I taste the evil of my sin.   


O still to be pitied is the man once rich, 
Now fated to become poor for his penance, 
Who weeps for his once‑great possessions 
That shall soon be only dirt and dust.
Job's Sacrifice Butts set.jpg
 Job's Sacrifice -- William Blake 

1 comment:

  1. "I had one hundred and thirty thousand sheep, and of these I separated seven thousand for the clothing of orphans and widows and of needy and sick ones. I had a herd of eight hundred dogs who watched my sheep and besides these two hundred to watch my house. And I had nine mills working for the whole city and ships to carry goods, and I seat them into every city and into the villages to the feeble and sick and to those that were unfortunate. And I had three hundred and forty thousand nomadic asses, and of these I set aside five hundred, and the offspring of these I order to he sold and the proceeds to be given to the poor and the needy. For from all the lands the poor came to meet me. For the four doors of my house were opened, each, being in charge of a watchman who had to see whether there were any people coming asking alms, and whether they would see me sitting at one of the doors so that they could leave through the other and take whatever they needed. I also had thirty immovable tables set at all hours for the strangers alone, and I also had twelve tables spread for the widows. And if any one came asking for alms, he found food on my table to take all he needed, and I turned nobody away to leave my door with an empty stomach. I also had three thousand five hundred yokes of oxen, and I selected of these five hundred and had them tend to the plowing. And with these I had done all the work in each field by those who would, take it in charge and the income of their crops I laid aside for the poor on their table. I also had fifty bakeries from which I sent [the bread] to the table for the poor. And I had slaves selected for their service.
    --The Testament of Job

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?