Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Nicole Surginer writes



Washed Away

I am caught in the pull
of your maddening current.
Subdued by the allure of
ardent tide pulling me
nearer your forbidden shore.
Yet the torrents of yearning
subdue my will completely.
I linger a single stolen
breath from immersion.
My love brims full yet
I cannot pour my heart
bleeds into the soul unable
to drown in them. 
 Image result for maelstrom woodcut painting
The Maelstrom of Naruto in the Awa province -- Hiroshige Utagawa



Washed away [OLD VERSION]

I am caught in the pull
of your crushing current
Flailing wildly to fight
the allure of memories
raging tide drawing me
nearer your forbidden shore.
Yet the pulls of yearning
subdue my will completely.
My love brims full remaining
a single beat from implosion.
For I can not yet pour my
heart bleeds into the soul
unable to drown in them.


 Image result for maelstrom olaus magnus
Maelstrom -- Olaus Magnus

1 comment:

  1. A maelstrom is a system of tidal eddies and whirlpools. The most famous one is the Moskstraumen that forms at the small island of Mosken between the Lofotodden of Moskenesøya and Værøy. One of the strongest in the world, with a diameter of 40–50 m (130–160 ft) and inducing surface water ripples up to 1 m (3 ft 3 in) in amplitude, it is unusual in that it occurs in the open sea whereas most other whirlpools are observed in confined straits or rivers. The currents are about 8 km (5 mi) wide and suck in various small microorganisms. It originates from a combination of several factors, the dominant being the strong semi-diurnal tides and peculiar shape of the seabed, with a shallow ridge between the Moskenesøya and Værøy islands which amplifies and whirls the tidal currents. The Nordic word "maelstrom" is a combination of the Dutch words "malen" (to grind) and "stroom" (stream) and was introduced into English by Edgar Allan Poe in his 1841 short story, "A Descent into the Maelström." The Moskstraumen was described in the 13th century in the Old Norse poetic Edda, and the Swedish bishop Olaus Magnus included it on his Carta Marina map (1539), attributing it to divine forces. The poem "Nordlands Trompet" (The Trumpet of Nordland) by Lutheran priest Petter Dass was one of its first scientific descriptions.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?