Friday, June 5, 2015

William H. Drummond writes

Bluer than the Sky

I am bluer than the sky today
I’m bluer than the sea
The sky has clouds for company
But I have only me
Storms are raging in my soul
Storms that bring no rain
A barren plain, a gaping hole
A wilderness of pain
The sun casts not a shadow
There is no East or West
Directionless I wander so
I have no goal, no quest
Violence surges in my heart
Fierce, but without aim
From life I have been torn apart
And there’s no one to blame
I did what I was told to do
I followed every rule
I slaved at work and at home, too
I also slaved at school
I prayed to God, gave to the poor
Helped everyone I could
I sacrificed myself and more
It all did me no good
My life has been a dead end road
A fruit without a seed
I stagger underneath the load
Will I ever be freed?
Must I continue to be true
A tree that never grows?
Today more than the sky I’m blue
Tomorrow, no one knows

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever have one of those days when feeling sorry for yourself was the dominant chord? Bill well captures that feeling here.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation! What is your reaction to the post?